- I thought it might be unnecessary but I realize it makes you feel better when you take some Vitamin D supplements during the Winter months. You might not really notice the lack of Vitamin D until you take some- your mood will lighten up and your energy comes back.
- Go outside as much as you can during the day. Enjoy the little amount of sunlight you get during the winter months when there are only around 4-5 hours of sunlight per day. Most of the people leave the house in the morning in darkness to go to work and come back in the afternoon when the sun’s set already. But if you are able to go for a walk in the morning, do so! It will make you feel much more energized and motivated! And the fresh air gives you an extra amount of alertness.
- A healthy and vitamin-packed diet helps to keep your mood balanced and energy high. Fruits, vegetables and a lot of water will help you to feel less tired and also work against the lack of energy during the darkness. St. John’s word (Hypericum calycinum) is rumoured to be a herb which helps against Winter depression as well and you can add it to your tea easily. Sport and activity in general, like long walks, do also help against the Winter depression.
- Lighten some candles and enjoy the cosy sides of the winter darkness. Make yourself a tea, wrap yourself in a comfy blanket, watch a movie, read a book or knit some socks. Winter is not only depressing, it also creates a unique homely atmosphere! A walk in the snowy fields followed by some warm porridge, soup or just a cup of hot chocolate and a hot bath or sauna will create a positive mind.
- If you feel really depressed and demotivated in Winter and none of the tips above help you, you can also try some daylight lamps which simulates the natural daylight and makes you feel less sleepy and better tempered.
But all in all, never forget that Winter will leave at a certain point and Spring is ahead! Do not drown in Winter Depression but try to make the best out of the dark months and its beauties! I hope you all enjoyed the Winter to its fullest and are looking forward to Spring! I wish you a wonderful weekend! Lots of love to you!